- Patients and Visitors
- Health Professionals
- Research and Education
- Work with Us
- Support Us
Post Graduate Diploma, Midwifery (employment model)
The Northern Health Graduate Diploma of Midwifery program aims to facilitate Division 1 registered Nurses to integrate theoretical knowledge learnt through La Trobe University in our maternity services to achieve the clinical requirements for registration as a Midwife.
At Northern Health we offer an employment model, allowing 4 shifts per fortnight for the duration of the course. An additional 4 shifts per fortnight are provided in a supernumerary capacity. Rotations are provided across all areas of midwifery in order to meet the clinical requirements for midwifery registration.
Aims of the midwifery program at Northern Health:
• Support registered nurses integrate evidence based theoretical knowledge of midwifery practice into woman centred midwifery care
• Apply principles of primary health care and cultural safety to develop, deliver and evaluate midwifery care appropriate to level of experience and scope of practice Utilise theory and clinical skills to provide family centred care for women, infants and their families.
• Engage in professional and respectful relationships with the multidisciplinary team to provide safe and quality midwifery practice
Date of commencement:
Commencement at University for first teaching block: 4th Feb 2019
Commencement at Northern Health: 25th Feb 2019
Length of course:
The Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is a one (1) year full time course
Academic content will be taught through La Trobe University – Bundoora campus
Clinical aspects of the course will be provided by Northern Health, predominantly at the Epping campus.
Will occur across all maternity areas including:
• Birth Suite
• Postnatal, including domiciliary care and lactation support
• Neonatal Unit
• Antenatal Clinics at The Northern Hospital, Broadmeadows Hospital and Craigieburn Health Service
All students on placement in maternity and neonatal areas at Northern Health are supported by a team of Clinical Support Midwives and Nurses and University staff.
As determined by La Trobe University course curriculum and clinical placement competency.
• Must have a current AHPRA registration as a Division 1 Registered Nurse
• Must have had a minimum of twelve (12) months acute medical / surgical experience upon application
Employment opportunities at Northern Health may be possible following successful completion of the course.
For your clinical placement at Northern Health, an application must be made to Northern Health via emercury
Please sign up to the NH e-recruit system for advice on applying: https://erecruit1.mercury.com.au/NorthernHealth/Default.aspx
Acceptance for placement at Northern Health is dependent on acceptance to the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery course at La Trobe University. Follow this link for details https://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/graduate-diploma-in-midwifery
Applications must be made to both Northern Health and La Trobe University
As set by La Trobe University.