Minimum Referral Information
To ensure safe, timely access to Northern Health, all referrals must contain the minimum referral information as detailed below:
|Patient Demographic Information:||Clinical Information|
|– Full Name (and alias)
– Mobile Number
– Date of Birth
– Medicare Number
– Indigenous Status
– Interpreter Requirements
|– Reason for Referral
– Requested Specialty / Service
– Working Diagnosis
– Current Manage of the condition
– Medical History (current and relevant past)
– Current Medications
– Relevant Investigations and pathology
* Please note: if a referral fails to meet the minimum referral information it will be declined with written notification to referring health professional and patient.
eReferral to Northern Health
Northern Health now accepts electronic referrals from General Practice utilising your clinics software system. The HealthLink eReferral Solution allows GP’s to pre-populate eReferrals from the clinic software and deliver electronically to Northern Health. Advantages of the eReferral solution are:
- GP’s are able to refer to all Northern Health Specialist Clinics
- It is free of charge to the GP practice
- Pre-populates critical patient health information into the referral and reducing the requirement for collating information manually
- eReferrals allow for the attachments (pathology, radiology results etc) to be sent with the referral – providing the accurate information for triaging clinicians.
- A receipt acknowledgement is provided real-time following the submission of the eReferral providing the GP with confidence that the referral has been received and is progress.
For further information on e-Referral to Northern Health following the link below:
For a step by step guide on how to send eReferrals using common practice software please follow the links below:
- Medical Director: Quick Start Guide – Medical Director
- Best Practice: Quick Start Quide – Best Practice
- Genie: Quick Start Guide – Genie
For any queries relating to HealthLink SmartForms or to have this solution enabled within the clinical software system, please contact HealthLink on 1800 125 036 or Helpdesk@healthlink.net
(Paper) Referrals to Northern Health
All paper based referrals to Northern Health should be sent via fax: 8405-8616
The General Practice Referral Form can be used to refer to Northern Health services and programs. The form can be downloaded here (General Practice Referral Form)
Statewide Referral Criteria
From the following dates, we will be implementing the statewide referral criteria in Victorian public hospitals where new adult referrals for select core conditions will be assessed against the statewide referral criteria for the following specialties:
1 November 2019, ENT, Vascular and Urology.
1 February 2020, Gastroenterology. Gynaecology and Neurology.
1 June 2020, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Obstetrics, Ophthalmology and Rheumatology.
The statewide referral criteria provide guidance to referring clinicians about which patients will be seen in adult public specialist clinics and what investigations are required to support triage.
The statewide referral criteria for clinicians will strengthen referrals to specialised services in public hospitals and improve access to non-admitted services. For more information go to: www.src.health.vic.gov.au
Northern Health supports the use of HealthPathways Melbourne when referring to Specialist Clinics. HealthPathways Melbourne provides referring GP’s with a comprehensive suite of clinical pathways, including guidance on when to refer and what information is required to accompany a referral.