Northern Health is the major provider of acute, maternity, sub-acute, mental health, specialist, community and home-based services in Melbourne’s rapidly growing outer north.
Services are provided through our four main campuses:
Northern Hospital Epping, Broadmeadows Hospital, Bundoora Centre and Craigieburn Centre. In addition, Mental Health Services are provided at Epping, Broadmeadows, Jacana, Preston, Mill Park and Coburg.
Read more here.
What to expect
- AUD $10,000 relocation support for successful candidates
- nurse and midwife patient ratios (e.g., General Acute ward – 1:4 nurse to patient ratio for AM and PM shift)
- flexible working hours in all clinical roles to help you balance work and life commitments
- support to grow your career, including education and training, scholarship and research opportunities
- pursuant to the relevant award entitlements, you could receive monthly paid days off if you work full-time and generous leave entitlements – up to six weeks’ annual leave per year as well as paid parental leave
- a competitive salary and tax-effective salary packaging options (e.g., starting salary for first year Graduate Nurse is up to AUD $75,000)
- 10.5% per cent employer contributions to your superannuation (this is your future retirement fund), with scheduled increases up to 12% from July 2025
- acknowledgement through our reward and recognition program.
Top five reasons to move to Melbourne
- Melbourne was voted Australia’s most liveable city by the Global Liveability Index 2022
- Melbourne’s laneway culture is diverse, waiting for you to discover ‘hidden’ shopping arcades, musicians and live music, cafes – not to mention festivals
- People come for the coffee! Here are just a few examples
- Melbourne is Australia’s cultural capital overflowing with creativity and a universal love of the arts – just a few of our attractions include the National Gallery of Victoria and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image as well as the Melbourne International Comedy Festival
- Melbourne also boasts breathtaking beauty and landscapes such as St Kilda Beach, the Grampians and the Great Ocean Road, so whether it’s a swim, a hike, a bike ride or some time away from the hustle and bustle of it all – Melbourne has you covered
With Northern Health campuses based in Epping, Bundoora, Broadmeadows and Craigieburn, you are never more than 20 – 40 minutes from the bustling Melbourne CBD with a range of public transport options available including Buses and Trains as well as the world-famous Victorian Tram Network. Outside of the Melbourne CBD, a range of exciting, dynamic suburbs in the North are waiting to be discovered such as Fitzroy and Carlton, just two of the many suburbs in the North that boast a bohemian reputation with an eclectic range of bars, restaurants and cafes, not to mention some amazing street art.
Housing Options in Melbourne
Melbourne is an exciting place to live with a diverse range of housing options ranging from units, townhouses and full family homes. Some of the exciting suburbs that surround our hospital sites include:
|Broadmeadows and Roxburgh Park||Bundoora, Greensborough and Hurstbridge|
|Coburg and Pascoe Vale South||Fairfield and Alphington|
|Craigieburn||Heidelberg and Heidelberg West|
|East Brunswick||Ivanhoe and Ivanhoe East|
|Essendon||Mill Park and Epping|
|Gladstone Park and Tullamarine||Northcote|
|Moonee Ponds and Ascot Vale||Reservoir|
|Oak Park, Glenroy and Fawkner||Thomastown and Lalor|
|Pascoe Vale and Coburg North||Thornbury|
|West Brunswick||Carlton North|
|Carlton – Parkville||Collingwood and Abbotsford|
|Fitzroy||Fitzroy North and Clifton Hill|
Here are some property search engines to get you started on looking into where in Melbourne’s North your Aussie adventure is going to begin!
Would you like more information on the median sale price for houses and units in the areas we have listed above? Or would you just like an idea of what the median weekly rent is in that suburb compared to metro Melbourne as a whole? – take a look at the Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV)
Applying for a role
If you’re interested in applying for a role at Northern Health and would like advice regarding your eligibility for registration or visa support, please email us at PeopleandCulture@nh.org.au. Please attach your resume and let us know the type of role you are interested in applying for.
We support our overseas employees to make the transition to Melbourne. Our International Workforce Manager will be able to answer all your questions on life working and living in Melbourne.
The Victorian Department of Health is also currently providing relocation support for international and returning Australian healthcare workers who have secured a role in a Victorian health service.
From 1 April 2022 the international travel allowance to help with relocation costs (including travel, visa and professional registration costs) increased to $10,000 for healthcare workers who secure a role in a public metro health service.
Salary Rates (indicative per week, unless otherwise specified)
Visas and professional registration
Once you have an employment offer and contract, you’ll need to gain registration as a health practitioner in Australia and apply for a visa.
More information on visas and immigration matters pertaining to moving to Australia can be found here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/home
Most healthcare professionals working in Australia are required to register under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme. If you are coming to work as a nurse or midwife, you will need to be registered with Australian Health Professions Registration Authority (AHPRA). We will provide guidance and support to gain registration. Gaining AHPRA registration usually takes a few months. Links to information on the relevant international application pathways are listed below:
|Nursing and Midwifery||https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Accreditation/IQNM.aspx|
A range of health professions have been identified by the Australian Government as filling critical skills needs, including nurses, midwives and social workers. Visa applications for these roles will be given priority processing. We will provide support with your visa options and offer visa sponsorship to support you and your immediate family to relocate.
Your AHPRA registration and visa approval can progress concurrently.
Please see the video below to learn more about Northern Health: