- Patients and Visitors
- Health Professionals
- Research and Education
- Work with Us
- Support Us
For Patients and Visitors
What is the Endocrinology Service?
The endocrinology service provides assessment and management of hormone-related disorders
Conditions seen include:
- Thyroid disorders (hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid nodules)
- Pituitary disorders (tumours, prolactinoma, acromegaly, hypopituitarism)
- Adrenal disorders
- Metabolic Bone disorders (hypercalcaemia, hyperparathyroidism, hypocalcaemia, Paget’s disease)
- Female reproductive hormone disorders (polycystic ovarian syndrome, menopause)
- Male reproductive hormone disorders
- Pregnancy related endocrine disorders
- General endocrinology
Conditions not seen include:
- Patients with Diabetes (please see Northern Health Diabetes Service website)
What can I expect from the service?
You may attend an outpatient clinic visit with a doctor from the endocrinology services. This clinic visit may involve a doctor consultation, blood tests and imaging tests. Appropriate treatment and care plan may be formulated which may include various forms of treatment. Your GP will be informed about the outcome of your consultation and treatment plan via a GP letter. Interpreter services are available.
How to refer to the service
A referral is required. Please visit your GP clinic
What do I bring/need for my appointment?
Please bring an accurate list of your current medications and any relevant blood tests and imaging results (X-ray films, scans, ultrasound, MRI) to your appointment. Please bring your Medicare card, health care or concession cards card (if you have one) and the name and clinic address of your GP.
Phone: 8405 8335
For Health Professionals
The adult endocrinology service runs multiple general endocrinology and specialised (osteoporosis and gestational endocrinology) outpatient clinics at The Northern hospital, Broadmeadows hospital and Craigieburn health services. The service deals with the full range of endocrinological disorders.
The adult endocrinology service also manages inpatients with endocrinology disorders and provides consultation service to other inpatient teams.
- Endocrinology disorders requiring specialist care
- Bariatric surgery is not available at the Northern Hospital
How to Refer:
All referrals to Northern Health should be sent via fax to:
Fax: 9495 3510
*For detailed referral criteria and required supporting information please see HealthPathways Melbourne via the link below:
The following conditions require specific referral information to facilitate accurate triage:
Referral Reason/working diagnosis Minimum Mandatory Investigations/Work
- Hyperthyroidism/hypothyroidism TFT’s/Thyroid antibodies/LFT’s
- Thyroid nodules TFT’s – T3,T4.TSH,
- Hormone Imbalance Appropriate hormone level
- Graves’ Disease TFT’s, Thyroid antibodies/LFT’s
- Hashimoto’s TFT’s/Thyroid antibodies/LFT’s
- Adrenal Adenoma Imaging results
Director/Head of Unit:
Dr S Varadarajan
To discuss Urgent Referral to clinic contact the Endocrinology Registrar on 8405 8000.
Non Urgent enquiries – Nurse Liaison 8405 8837