For Patients and Visitors
What is the Service?
The Department of Respiratory Medicine at the Northern Hospital provides lung tests, runs outpatient clinics and care for inpatients that are really unwell with lung related conditions.
We provide following outpatient services:
- Respiratory function testing – checking how well your lungs work
- Bronchoscopy – looking into your lungs with a camera
- General respiratory problems including chest infection, asthma, allergy and smoking related lung conditions (eg; COPD)
- Lung Mass Clinic – Lung nodule monitoring and lung cancer assessment
- Severe Asthma and Allergy Clinic – Assessment and treatment of Severe Asthma and all types of allergies
- Pleural Medicine Unit and Specialist Ambulatory Pleural Service (SAPS) – Assessment and management of pleural diseases
- Home Oxygen Assessment – if you will be eligible for oxygen at home
- Allergy testing – Provided by Respiratory function laboratory
- Asthma Education
What service can patients expect to receive?
You will be assessed by one of our specialist doctors and will organise appropriate tests relevant to your condition. You will be a provided a treatment plan which will also be sent to your referring doctor in a timely manner. We can also provide interpreter services should you require one.
How to access this service?
- You need a referral from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
- Your GP will fax your referral to the hospital. Once we receive the referral, we will send you a letter.
- If there is a waiting list, you’ll be advised what to do in your letter.
- Referrals are current for 12 months from the date of issue. Keep a copy of your referral, so you can easily ask your GP to renew your referral if you need to.
What do I bring/need for my appointment?
Every time you come to hospital for a test, day procedure, appointment or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Referral from your doctor (if you have a copy)
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
To enquire about your referral:
Lung function Lab: Phone (03) 8405 2444
Outpatient Clinics: Phone (03) 8405 8335
For other general enquiries:
Phone (03) 8405 2444
For Health Professionals
The Department of Respiratory Medicine provides general respiratory services to inpatients and outpatients, including respiratory function assessment, fibreoptic bronchoscopy, lung oncology as well as clinical management of all respiratory disorders including asthma and allergy. The department admits about 1000 inpatients per annum and includes the Respiratory Care Unit (RCU) which offers non-invasive ventilation for patients with Acute Respiratory Failure. We also have an active pleural service performing over 200 pleural procedures per annum and participate in clinical trials in this area.
The Respiratory Medicine service provides the following services:
- Respiratory function laboratory (including lung volumes, bronchial provocation, FeNO, skin prick tests)
- Fibreoptic bronchoscopy
- General respiratory medicine Clinic
- Lung Mass Clinic with associated multidisciplinary meeting
- Respiratory Rapid Access Clinic
- Asthma and Allergy Clinic
- Pleural Medicine Unit and Specialist Ambulatory Pleural Service (SAPS)
- Oxygen Assessment Clinic
Respiratory & Sleep Medicine Referral Guidelines (for adults) – click here
How to Refer:
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Urgent and complex referrals can be discussed with the Respiratory Registrar by calling Northern Health switchboard Tel: 8405 8000.
Acutely unwell patients should be directed to the nearest Emergency Department.
GP referrals: Use HealthLink to send referrals, including results and reports. For more information click here
Other health services (hospitals, allied health, specialists etc): Fax your referral to 8405 8616
Referrals for Lung Function Test: For more information click here
Director/Head of Unit
Dr Katharine See
Dr Liam Hannan
Dr Naomi Atkins
Dr Yan Chen
Dr Bassem Dawood
Dr Megan Howden
Dr Angus Husband
Dr Sanjeevan Muruganandan
Dr Mittal Patel
Dr Kanishka Rangamuwa
Dr Jibin Thomas
Dr Melissa Yang
Dr Kai Chaivannacoopt
Dr Jack Henderson
Head Respiratory Scientist / Laboratory Manager
Mr Nicholas Romeo
Respiratory Clinical Nurse Consultants
Mr Gavin Fahey
Ms Maureen Goodwin
Ms Kirstin Tirant
Ms Sharon Rukavina
Ms Peita Roberts
Ms Clarissa Fleming
Phone (03) 8405 2444 or Email: email@example.com