For Patients and Visitors
What is the Service?
Surgeons and their team of health professionals who specialize in the care of problems with the liver, pancreas and bile duct system (including gallbladders) that may need a surgical procedure as part of the treatment.
What can I expect from the service?
The service will meet you in the outpatient clinic and assess your problem, and further tests and treatments planned as necessary.
How to refer to the service
A referral is required. Please visit your GP clinic
What do I bring/need for my appointment?
Please bring with you/have available the following items:
- Xrays and other medical imaging tests (if you have them)
- Accurate list of medications
Phone: 8405 8335
For Health Professionals:
The HPB Unit holds a fortnightly multidisciplinary cancer meeting to discuss and plan the treatment of patients with HPB cancers.
- Gallstone disease (including bile duct stones and other complex problems)
- Incidental liver lesions
- Metastatic liver cancer, including colorectal liver metastases
- Primary liver cancer (HCC/Hepatoma)
- Benign liver lesions (FNH, haemangioma, adenoma, large cysts)
- Pancreas cancer
- Incidental pancreatic lesions (including IPMN and other pancreatic cysts)
- Complications from pancreatitis, including chronic pancreatitis
- Bile duct cancer
- Bile duct cysts and strictures
- Gallbladder cancer
How to Refer:
All referrals to Northern Health should be sent to:
Fax: 9495 3510
*For detailed referral criteria and required supporting information please see HealthPathways Melbourne via the link below:
Referral must include:
CT and MRI films need to be uploaded to the Northern system. It is imperative that the patient bring a CD of the films if they cannot be transferred prior to the appointment, otherwise there is often a delay in diagnosis and treatment
Please contact the HPB (Surg 4) registrar on 8405 8000 to organise uploading of films
The minimum mandatory investigations / workup to facilitate accurate triage to the Hepato Pancreato Biliary Services can be accessed via the link below:
Director/Head of Unit
Mr David Bird
Health Professional Enquiries
Contact: the HPB registrar or fellow
Phone: 8405 2899