The year for 2019 Interns ended well with a valedictory celebration, where everyone received a chocolate rose in recognition for their amazing year. This year they return as Hospital Medical Officers 2 (HMO2s) at various health services.
Awards were handed out for:
- Intern of the Year, Overall / Intern of the Year, Medical: Jack Anstey;
- Intern of the Year, Surgical: Tie – Shubham Joshi, Margaret Shi and Danielle Sabella
- Intern of Year, ED: Tie – Margaret Shi and Gavin Wayne
- Intern of the Year, Subspecialty/Psychiatry: Tie – Yasmin Shah and Elisabeth Clinch
- Intern of the Year, Allied Health/Nursing: Kate Shearer
- Intern Choice: Tie – Priyanka Chhugani, Sharon Lee and Elisabeth Clinch.
Seventy five per cent of our 2019 interns are coming back to continue their careers at Northern Health.
Wanda Stelmach, Divisional Director Surgery, speaking at the event said, “ Northern Health clinical staff are proud to have worked with the 2019 intern group. The dedication and diligence the group has shown through-out the year has been amazing!”
Elisabeth Clinch, organiser of intern activities, said, “It has been a privilege to work alongside such talented, kind and hardworking colleagues this year. The intern valedictory was a lovely night to celebrate our achievements, large and small, before we begin our careers as HMOs. Good luck to those of us moving on from Northern Health, and for those staying I look forward to seeing you around the wards!”
Dr John Ferguson, Chief Medical Officer, said, “This is a fantastic reflection on the entire Intern team and we are delighted so many are staying with us for 2020. We want to make this event a hospital event and celebrate more widely.”
Northern Health wishes the 2019 Interns safe and happy holidays and an amazing 2020!