Home Care Packages: Advocacy Services
What is advocacy?
Advocacy is the process of standing beside someone and supporting them to:
- Understand and exercise their rights
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
What is an advocate?
- Takes the time to listen and understand your views and wishes
- Informs you of your rights and responsbilities
- Assists you to explore your options and make informed decisions
- Supports you to raise your concerns and work towards a resolution
- Provides practical assistance such as help to write a letter or raise your concerns at a meeting
- Speaks for you in situations where you don’t feel able to speak for yourself
- Increases your capacity to self-advocate
Your Case Manager is employed to act as an advocate on your behalf; however we acknowledge the rights of our consumers to appoint an independently chosen advocate and to change a nominated advocate at any time.
The Australian Government’s National Aged Care Advocacy Program (NACAP) provides free, confidential, and independent advocacy support to older people receiving or looking to access government-funded aged care services, their families, and representatives across Australia. NACAP is delivered by the Older Person Advocacy Network (OPAN).
How do I contact the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN)?
Phone: 1800 700 600