Standard 10 - Preventing Falls and Harm from Falls
Helping You Stay On Your Feet
Falling over is the main cause of injury in Hospital.
- Falls can cause serious injuries and disability.
What you can do to help:
- Make sure you can reach your call bell.
- Press your call bell for help when needed.
- Turn the light on so you can see clearly.
- Never walk in slippery / non grip socks.
- Always wear supportive, flat, non-slip shoes.
- If you use a frame / walking stick , bring it in.
- Bring in glasses or hearing aids from home.
- If you need to get out of bed, make sure your bed is at knee height.
- Make sure you know where the toilet is.
- Staff will talk to you about sitting out of bed, walking and exercising. This is also important in assisting you recovery.
Families can help by:
- Spending time with your loved one;
- Notifying nursing staff when you are leaving your loved one, especially if they are confused
- Ensuring that you leave the environment free of clutter (chairs especially)