Shared Maternity Care
Shared Maternity Care
- What is Shared Maternity Care?
- Clinical resources
- How to contact the Shared Maternity Care Coordinator
- How to become a Shared Maternity Care Affiliate
- Reaccreditation requirements
What is Shared Maternity Care?
Shared Maternity Care is a model of care in which the majority of antenatal visits take place in the community with a hospital affiliated General Practitioner (GP). The remaining antenatal visits take place at the hospital at key times. The woman attends the hospital for the baby’s birth and immediate post-natal care. In this model the community based affiliated GP, the hospital based doctors and midwives act as a team in providing community based, safe, holistic and culturally appropriate care.
Shared Maternity Care Affiliates Guidelines 2015. These guidelines aim to support SMCA by providing process guide for the management of Shared Maternity Care. Northern Health follows these Guidelines.
How to become a Shared Maternity Care Affiliate
Pathways to achieve accreditation
GPs wishing to become a Shared Maternity Care Affiliate at one or more of the following hospitals; The Northern Hospital, Sunshine Hospital, Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mercy Hospital for Women, must fulfil ONE of the following criteria:
- DRANZCOG – primary qualification in last 5 years (recertification required)
- Diploma Obstetrics RACOG (no recertification required) plus recent involvement in provision of antenatal care
- CSCT in Women's Health plus recent involvement in provision of antenatal care
- Significant hospital experience as an antenatal care provider.
Applicants who do not meet the postgraduate/experience requirements may apply to attend antenatal sessions at one of the hospitals.
GPs and Obstetricians wishing to apply for accreditation as a Shared Maternity Care Affiliate, please forward the completed the application form and agreement to
Download the Application Form
Download Shared Maternity Care GP Agreement
Successful applicants will be accredited as Shared Maternity Care Affiliates at The Northern Hospital, Mercy Hospital for Women, The Royal Women’s Hospital and Sunshine Hospital.
Please note applicants must provide contact details of two referees and proof of:
- Current unrestricted medical registration from Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Current Medical Indemnity/Insurance membership
- Evidence to support attainment of one of the above criteria
- Evidence of practice accreditation certificate
If the applicant is successful, accreditation is valid for the life of the current triennium in line with the RACGP QA & CPD cycle (2017-2019).
If you don’t meet accreditation requirements
GPs who do not meet the post graduate/experience requirements may apply to attend ante-natal sessions at one of the hospitals. For more information or to discuss further please contact the GP Liaison Consultant on (03)8405 8815 or email
Towards the end of the triennium (September 2019), affiliates will be invited to undertake reaccreditation in order to maintain their affiliation. Reaccreditation criteria differ from the criteria required to obtain the initial accreditation.
Pathways for reaccreditation
GPs wishing to be reaccredited must fulfil ONE of the following criteria:
- Attendance at the annual Shared Maternity Care workshop hosted by one of the four collaborating hospitals
- RACGP CPD activities specifically related to pregnancy care, pre pregnancy care, post-natal period and neonatal care totalling 10 RACGP category 2 points.
Supervised antenatal session
Alternative Activities. You are invited to submit CPD activities directly related to pregnancy care, pre pregnancy care, post-natal period and neonatal care equivalent to 10 category 2 RACGP points for consideration. This could take the form of a practice based group-learning module.
Shared Maternity Care Coordinator
The Shared Maternity Care Coordinator is the person for non-urgent clinical contact for both Shared Maternity Care Affiliates (SMCA) and women. The Shared Maternity Care Coordinator is available between 0800 and 1630, Mon-Fri.